The Differences between Blackberries and Raspberries is given here. Blackberries are berries that come from various plant species, they are often confused with other berries that come from another genus of plants. Blackberries come from plants of the genus Morus or mulberry trees and raspberries come from plants of the genus Rubus or brambles.
It is known as blackberry to edible fruits produced by various plant species that have a similar appearance and very common characteristics. In general, the fruits of plants of the genus Morus are often confused with those of the genus Rubus.
The blackberry is a polydrupe, that is, it is formed by the union of small drupes, which have a very tiny seed.
They have a size that goes from 1 cm to 3 cm depending on the species. The color also varies according to the species, the Morus nigra is white when it is immature, it turns red and then, when it is mature, it becomes black. The Morus alba when mature is white.
Each berry has a distinctive flavor, but the most favored flavors are sweet and sour flavors.
The common raspberry comes from the perennial shrub that belongs to the species rubus idaeus, although it can come from any plant of the genus Rubus. It is an easy-to-grow plant that can be easily spread unless kept under control.
Raspberry is a polydrupe with a very strong and sweet flavor. It bears fruit in late summer or early fall. It is similar to the blackberry, but it is smaller and softer.
It is a fruit with large amounts of ellagic acid, a substance that can prevent various types of cancer. Dark-colored raspberries are rich in anthocyanins, a type of antioxidant that can prevent tissue degeneration.
suggested video: Blackberries vs Raspberries
Differences between Blackberries and Raspberries
- Raspberries are polydrupes that come from plants of the genus Rubus.
- Blackberries are polydrupes that come from plants of the genus Morus.
- Raspberries have a characteristic hole in the center and are more pinkish in color, although there are blue varieties.
- Blackberries do not have holes and are dark in color.
- The flavor of blackberries is more acidic.
- The taste of raspberries is sweeter.
- The blackberry has elongated seeds.
- Raspberries have rounder seeds.
- Blackberries have a 0.5 cm corner.
- Raspberries lose their stalk when removed from plants.
- Blackberry is softer than raspberry.