All Menu PricesQuick and Easy Dinners for One
Eggplant Sandwiches Recipe
Roasted eggplant on French bread with feta, basil and garlic mayonnaise. This was my favorite sandwich of all time, adapted from the cafeteria at UC Irvine.
Sure, here’s a recipe for Eggplant Sandwiches:
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 burger buns or ciabatta rolls
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of your favorite tomato sauce
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the eggplant into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the flour mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Place the eggplant slices in the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the pan and place them on a baking sheet.
- Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on each eggplant slice.
- Spoon a tablespoon of tomato sauce on top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Toast the burger buns or ciabatta rolls.
- Place a few eggplant slices on each bun or roll.
- Top with some fresh basil leaves, if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Note: You can also add other toppings to the sandwich, such as roasted red peppers or sliced onions, to add some extra flavor and texture.