Bacteria are small organisms, found in abundance on Earth. It is also known as one of the earliest forms of life on Earth. They were the very first organisms that evolved on this planet earth, ie. more than 20 million years since eukaryotes appeared.
Bacteria are a large group of small single-celled organisms, also called microorganisms or protozoa. These bacteria are called prokaryotes because they lack a true nucleus and other cellular components.
Bacteria is the synonym of bacteria. The study of bacteriology is known as bacteriology and is a branch of microbiology. Bacteria were first observed in 1675 by Dutch microscopist Antony van Leeuwenhoek.
Characteristics Of Bacteria
Bacteria mainly comprises a simple cellular structure, including:
- Cell wall
Interesting Facts About Bacteria
- Bacteria play an important role in the regulation of biological processes.
- These bacteria also protect our bodies from pathogens.
- Rain odor is also caused by Gram-positive bacteria in the soil.
- There are thousands and billions of new bacterial strains in the mouth and stomach compared to other parts of the human body.
- Bacteria act as biocontrol agents as well as cleaners and disinfectants.
- These bacteria are both beneficial and harmful to humans, animals and plants.
- Bacteria exist outside the body and inside our intestines that aid in indigestion.
- There are many bacteria living in our gut that help in digestion and protect our bodies from invading bacteria.
- Bacteria are an important part of the ecosystem, participating in activities such as production of gases such as oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and minerals such as nitrogen and sulphur.
- The human body contains 10 times more bacterial cells than human cells. These bacteria can be benign bacteria or pathogens that cause diseases such as various bacterial infections and other fatal diseases.
- Like other animals and birds, bacteria communicate with each other by sending electrical signals. Thus, a group of bacterial cells communicate and work together.
you may also like