The heart is the most important part of the cardiovascular system and the hardest muscle in our body. The structure of the human heart consists of four chambers, i.e., two atria and two ventricles. The main function of the heart is to deliver oxygenated blood to all parts of our body.
We all probably know the structure and functions of the heart. There are some interesting and surprising things about the human heart that we don’t know.
Interesting Facts About the Heart
- The human heart beats about 115,000 times a day and pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood a day. An adult’s heart is about the size of our two hands, and a child’s heart is the size of a fist.
- On average, our hearts beat 70 to 72 times per minute in a lifetime, 100,000 times a day, 3,600,000 times a year and 2.5 billion times.
- According to the literature, symptoms of coronary heart disease and heart attack differ between men and women. The reason behind these could be risk factors.
- Researchers have found evidence of 3,000-year-old heartworms, found in Egyptian mummies.
- Compared to other cancers, heart cancer is relatively rare because heart cells stop dividing at a young age.
- The right side of our heart sends oxygenated blood to our lungs and the left side of our heart pumps oxygenated or deoxygenated blood from our lungs to various parts of our body.
you may also like