The watt or watt is a unit of the International System of Units to define power and is equivalent to 1 joule per second (1 J / s). The kilowatt (kW) is a multiple of the watt and is equal to one thousand watts. The volt-ampere is a unit of apparent power and complex power of an electrical appliance, dimensionally corresponds to the watt. The kVA is the multiple of the volt-ampere and designates the apparent power of inductive electrical equipment.
It is a multiple of the watt, also known as watt, and is a unit derived from the International System of Units (SI) to indicate power. Its symbol is W. It is equal to 1 joule per second (1 J / s).
The watt has multiples and submultiples applicable to any type of power, be it mechanical, magnetic, electrical, acoustic, or of any type. A watt is a small unit, so the multiple kilowatt or kW equals 1000 W.
As it is a SI unit it can be expressed in combination with other units. In electrical units, it can be expressed as W = V ⋅ A and in units used in hydraulics as W = Pa ⋅ m3 / s.
The term was created in 1882 in honor of the engineer James Watt (1736-1819), who perfected the steam engine.
The volt-ampere is a unit of apparent power and complex power of electrical equipment. It is also used for reactive power. The multiple kVA designates the apparent power of an electrical appliance with inductive characteristics when it works with alternating current. Used as a consumption measurement for electrical equipment, it expresses the total amount of energy that the equipment consumes.
The volt-ampere is obtained by multiplying the effective voltage (RMS) by the effective current.
It is used to size the amount of energy that protection circuits and conductors can withstand when the equipment is subjected to operating voltage.
suggested video: KW vs KVA
Difference between KW and KVA
- The kW defines the power that a piece of equipment generates or consumes.
- The VA defines the apparent power consumed by an equipment product of the applied voltage and the current that circulates through it.
- For electricity companies, kW indicates the power consumed by the company and the thermal load generated by the equipment.
- For companies, kVA is used to measure the amount of energy that the cables and circuits of equipment resist.
- The kW are used not only in the electrical field but also in mechanics, hydraulics, and acoustics.