What are some Examples of Peripherals?
A peripheral is any accessory or piece of equipment that connects to a computer’s CPU, through which there is communication between the computer and the outside. keyboard, monitor, speaker, mouse are some examples of peripherals.
List of Types of Peripherals?
There are four types of peripherals:
- Input Peripherals: Those that allow entering information into the computer.
- Output Peripherals: They are used to observe or reproduce the information contained on the computer.
- Mixed Peripherals: They are those that can be used both to enter information into the computer and to take that information abroad.
- Storage Peripherals: They are those devices that allow data to be stored outside the computer but also shared with the computer when necessary.
All peripherals require the computer to have the appropriate software to be able to interpret the information sent by the input peripherals or to be able to send the information in a format that the output peripheral can interpret.
- It can serve you: Hardware Examples
Examples of input peripherals
- Keyboard: allows you to enter instructions on the computer. It does everything from complex tasks like scheduling to tasks as simple as turning it on or off. The information you enter is symbols and numbers that are interpreted in a particular way by each of the programs.
- Mouse: allows you to guide the pointer around the screen and select the actions that are available on the screen.
- Microphone: This allows you to input sounds into the computer. It also allows giving orders to the computer through a voice recognition system.
- Scanner: its function is to photograph flat images to enter them as information on the computer.
- Camera: Cameras allow you to take pictures and store them directly on your computer. They also allow you to shoot videos. In combination with microphone and output peripherals, they allow video conferencing.
- Stylus: replaces the mouse being used to point points on the screen.
- CD and DVD player: it allows entering the information stored on CDs or DVDs into the computer.
- Joystick: its function is to facilitate the control of functions in certain programs, mainly audiovisual games that are run on the computer.
- See also: Examples of Input Devices
Examples of output peripherals
- Monitor: its function is to show the actions that the user is executing on the computer (for example, when programming or writing text or modifying an audiovisual file). It also allows to observe or reproduce the information without modifying it.
- Speaker – Let’s you hear stored sounds.
- Printer: its function is to capture the selected information on paper so that it can be viewed outside the computer. They can be printed from programming codes and error messages to texts and photos.
- More in: Examples of Output Devices
Examples of mixed peripherals
- Touch-sensitive screen: its function is similar to the mouse, as it allows you to simply select the functions available on the screen with your hands. However, as it is a screen, it also allows observing and reproducing information stored on the computer.
- Multifunction printers: being a printer, it is an output peripheral, but also being a scanner, it is an input peripheral.
- Modem: its function is to connect to the Internet, allowing both input and output of information. Converts the digital signal to analog to be transmitted over the telephone line.
- Network adapter: its function is to connect to the Internet, allowing both the input and output of information. It is used with a digital internet service.
- Wireless Card: its function is to obtain a wireless network through which information is sent and received.
- More in: Examples of Mixed Peripherals
Examples of storage peripherals
- Storage Peripherals
- External hard drive: its function is to store large amounts of information in a mobile way since it allows physically transporting that information to be consulted by any computer. The saved information can be modified.
- USB memory: its function is to store a certain amount of information in a practical way since it takes up very little space. The saved information can be modified
- CD and DVD: discs of different capacities that allow information to be stored but not modified.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Top 10 Peripheral Devices?
Here is the list of the top 10 peripherals:
- USB derive
- External Hard derive