All Menu PricesCooking for Two
Southeast Asian Style Chicken Rice Recipe
I combined elements of Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian and other Asian cuisines to create a delicious chicken and rice dish topped with a fresh herb salad.
Southeast Asian style chicken rice is a popular dish that is commonly found in many Southeast Asian countries, including Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand. The dish typically consists of steamed or poached chicken served with fragrant rice cooked in chicken broth, along with a variety of dipping sauces and condiments.
Here is a recipe for Southeast Asian style chicken rice:
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.5 kg), cleaned and rinsed
- 4 cups of jasmine rice
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 slices of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dipping sauces:
- Soy sauce
- Chili sauce
- Ginger sauce
- Garlic sauce
- In a pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to coat the grains with the oil. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and fluffy.
- While the rice is cooking, place the chicken in a large pot and add enough water to cover the chicken. Add some ginger slices and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and transfer it to a large bowl of ice water to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooled, chop it into small pieces.
- To serve, place a serving of rice on a plate and top it with a generous portion of chopped chicken. Drizzle some sesame oil over the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the dipping sauces on the side.
Enjoy your delicious Southeast Asian style chicken rice!