What is motion?
A body is said to be in motion if it changes its position with respect to its surroundings. The main types of motion are Translatory motion, Oscillatory or vibratory motion, and Rotatory motion. Some other examples of motion are linear motion, Random motion, circular motion. Keep Reding..
What are the Three Types of motion?
There are many types of motion, but the most common types are given below: 1. Translatory or linear Motion 2. Rotatory Motion 3. Vibratory or Oscillatory Motion
Linear motion is also called the translator motion. In this type of motion, the body moves in a straight or curved path.
Examples of Translatory motion
- The motion of a car on a flat road.
- The motion of a motorbike on a circular road.
- The motion of a cricket ball hit for a sixer.
- The motion of the train on the railway track.
Also read: Uniform Velocity Vs Variable velocity
If a body spins or rotates about a fixed point or axis, its motion is called rotatory motion. The line around which the body rotates is called the axis of rotation or line of action of the force.
Examples of Rotatory motion
- The rotation of the earth about its own axis.
- The wheel of a moving car.
- The blades of a moving electric fan.
- The motion of Fan.
To and fro motion of an object about a mean position executed at regular intervals of time is called vibratory motion.
Examples of Vibratory motion
- Up and down movements of the block are suspended by means of spring.
- To and fro movement of a pendulum.
- The periodic swings of a Clock’s pendulum.
- The motion of the swing.
- The motion of the sea saw.
Frequently Asked Questions about motion: What are the 4 main types of motion?
- Rotational motion
- Circular motion
- periodic motion
- Rectilinear motion
Which is the most common type of motion? Rotatory motion is the most common type of motion because it is most widely used in our everyday life.